The first step involved in getting a Texas Real Estate Sales Agent license is contacting us to register for the required pre-licensing courses. Currently, the Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) requires that the following courses be completed before you are eligible to take the state licensing exam:

Principles of Real Estate (60 hours)
Law of Agency (30 hours)
Law of Contracts (30 hours)
Promulgated Contracts Forms (30 hours)
Real Estate Finance (30 hours)

Students may register for these courses individually, or receive greater savings by registering for a pre-licensing package, which includes all of the required courses, plus the option to receive exam prep material. During the course registration process, you will be asked if you want “online testing” or “proctored testing”.

Basically, each course will have a quiz and exam. If the online testing option is chosen, students will login to the online testing system with the username and password provided by C.E.L.I. and complete the quiz and exam online, and have the option of printing the course completion certificate at the end of each exam.

Students who choose proctored testing will submit the completed quizzes by fax or email to C.E.L.I. for grading, and provided that they have been passed, the exams will be mailed out to a proctor of the students choosing, such as a broker who holds an active license, a library or a notary. The proctor cannot be related to the student by blood or marriage. Once the final exams have been successfully completed, the university will mail a course completion certificate to you.

After you have completed the required courses, you may go to TREC’s website and complete an “Application for Inactive Sales Agent License” online. Once you have entered the required information, the system will provide you with an email address and a fax number for you to submit your course completion certificates to.

You will also be prompted to submit an application fee. As of 01/01/2017, the total fee required is $205.00 ($150.00 application fee, $10.00 recovery trust account, $5.00 Texas online fee, $40.00 Real Estate Center. All applicants must provide their fingerprints as well. Information will be provided during the online application process regarding this.

When the application has been submitted, a background check will be performed. Information revealed in an investigation may be cause for disapproval of an application even though other requirements for a license are met. If an investigation is necessary, it may not be conducted until the applicant has passed the examination. Also, Texas Guaranteed Student Loan Repayment History will be checked. Unless you have entered into a repayment agreement, an application may be rejected if the applicant has defaulted on a student loan.

Once TREC processes the online application, they will provide you a Texas Real Estate Candidate Handbook. This will provide instructions on how to make an appointment to take the licensing exam, as well as study material and instructions about licensing. The licensing exam will be divided up into two sections: National and State.

The National portion will contain 85 questions and the State portion will contain 40 questions. You will have 150 minutes to complete the National portion and 90 minutes to complete the State portion. Any candidate who happens to fail either the National or State portion of the examination will be allowed to retake only the portion of the test they failed; however, you must pass both portions within 12 months from the date the application was filed.

You have successfully passed the state licensing exam ………. now what?? Before you can practice as a licensed Texas real estate sales agent, you must arrange for a Texas real estate broker holding an active license to sponsor you as a salesperson. You are not required to have a sponsoring broker to file an application for a license; however, a “Sales Agent Sponsorship Form” will be included in the application materials. You may file this during the application process or after TREC notifies you that you have been issued an inactive license.

Once all requirements have been satisfied, TREC will send an active sales agent license to the broker, and you may work for the broker on receipt of the license. Remember, you are not authorized to perform any act for which a real estate license is required until an ACTIVE Texas Real Estate Commission license is in the possession of your sponsoring broker.